Links
Links to us
Mobile
Policy

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 14 17:32

Close/Open Menu
THREE BRIDGES STATION
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Maidenbower Forum Index -> MP & Councillors' e-Surgery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry Smith MP
Long time resident
Long time resident

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 11 12:51    Post subject: THREE BRIDGES STATION Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

This morning I was honored to carry out the groundbreaking for the new Network Rail Operations Centre at Three Bridges. It will be the signaling hub for much of southern England from 2014, representing increased capacity and better coordinated information.

Afterwards I toured Three Bridges Station where in a year’s time the platforms, concourse, retail and ticket office will have been completely refurbished. With 120 additional parking spaces to be added, Three Bridges Station will finally realise its travel interchange and hub potential.

***NB: Due to major station upgrade works Three Bridges will be closed on Christmas and Boxing days.***

www.henrysmith.info
Constituency Office: 01293 934554
[email protected]
Westminster Office: 020 7219 7043
www.facebook.com/henrysmithmp
www.twitter.com/HenrySmithMP
Andrew B
Forum fanatic
Forum fanatic

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 11 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Henry, if it leads to a better service (as a commuter) that's fine by me. Bit of a khazi at the moment though, eh ?
Two Beans
New neighbour
New neighbour

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 11 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Will there be a new side entrance from the Maidenbower side?

It seems pointless to walk all the way down the hill and round the front only to end up standing a few yards from the footpath on Station Hill/Billinton Dr.
Ian

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 11 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

great news...but (why is there always a but???) 120 spaces is NOT enough. That station could take a 500 car park and it would be used instead of people having to go to Gatwick.
Two Beans
New neighbour
New neighbour

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 12 09:00    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Care to answer my question Mr Smith?
PeterM

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 12 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Why not get it from the horse's mouth? Who is doing the work? Network Rail?
radamfi
Forum fanatic
Forum fanatic

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 12 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

I previously explained the problem with a big car park at Three Bridges a number of times. I will repost below:

As explained in the Brighton Main Line RUS, there is already excessive railheading at major stations. Haywards Heath is a particular example where its massive car park sucks in commuters from far away, many of which should really be using their local station. A big car park at Three Bridges would probably mean people switching from the East Grinstead Line, putting even more pressure on the Brighton Main Line. Haywards Heath car park's popularity means it is very expensive and one at Three Bridges would probably cost even more.

If Three Bridges was in the Netherlands it would have a bus station right outside, cycle parking for thousands of bikes, including manned secure bike parking, a bike shop and instant cycle hire at a swipe of a card. It would be unlikely to have much, if any, car parking. In the Netherlands, rail based park and ride is not very common in suburban areas similar to Three Bridges. It is only really provided at more rural locations.
routemaster
Forum fanatic
Forum fanatic

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 12 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Well, I was very impressed with the Ladies toilet! BIG improvement!!
Henry Smith MP
Long time resident
Long time resident

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan 12 02:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Little Chef, I don't recall if the Three Bridges Station redevelopment plans include a side entrance from Station Hill but I've sent an email to Network Rail and will post the response when received.

Radamfi, no doubt we could have a lengthy discussion about modal shift and forms of transport but my personal view is that additional car parking spaces at the station are welcome (and necessary), as will be the increased cycle rack spaces too. Of course the interchabge with Fastway buses at Three Bridges (along with the useful real-time info displays) represents a significant public transport enhancement.

www.henrysmith.info
[email protected]
Max
Forum Godfather

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan 12 08:39    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

A side entrance would require another set of ticket gates & a ticket office to be built, cant see that happening.
New neighbour
New neighbour

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 12 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

I would like to see an entrance on the maidenbower/pound hill side too, for several reasons:

-The pavement under the bridge next to the road is very narrow, and overcrowded and often used by cyclists (mounted or dismounted) as there is no cycle friendly way around this bottleneck without going south to Maidenbower Lane or North to St Mary's Drive (which isn't 100% cycle friendly either).
-The pavement is poorly lit
-You always get dripped on.
-For those that walk to the station, including my wife, this would save them about 8 minutes a day. That's about 25 hours a year!

Yes, a ticket gate would be required, but a sign directing non-ticket-holders to the ticket office would be ok. Most of the people coming through are season ticket holders. A single ticket machine would be better than nothing.

A couple of ticket machines, a row of bike racks and ideally a drop-off bay would be good, but even if there are none of those it would still be a major improvement to the lives of many commuters. If one of the commercial properties on this side were to be bought and converted into better drop-off/pick-up facilities it would really help reduce the terrible congestion at the front of the station.

It seems to me that the tunnel under the platforms must come very close to the pavement in Station Hill, so I don't imagine that it would be a particularly major engineering project.

This really would make a positive difference to the daily life of a lot of Crawley people, so if you could push this with network rail, Henry, we'd be really grateful!
Emmeline
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan 12 09:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

I agree - that would be a HUGE HUGE and wonderful improvement to many people's lives. I wonder how much it would cost to do? You are level with Platform 5 at that high level car park place (that use to house garden furniture) so putting a ticket machine in there would be relatively easy and save us some time....
Max
Forum Godfather

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan 12 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Ticket gates cost about 50k & a ticket machine about 10k. I think the money would be better spent on increased parking facilities.
Long time resident
Long time resident

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan 12 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

How possibly can one ticket gate cost more than a couple of BMWs? If true, this is obscene and somebody is making a fortune.....
PeterM

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan 12 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Economies of scale? I imagine there are many more BMWs out there than ticket gates and machines. Plus ticket gates and machines have to be very reliable.
Max
Forum Godfather

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan 12 09:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrenldn wrote:
How possibly can one ticket gate cost more than a couple of BMWs? If true, this is obscene and somebody is making a fortune.....

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23764147-fare-dodger-barriers-cost-pound-230000-but-are-left-open.do
Needs to get out more
Needs to get out more

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan 12 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Do we know that all the new parking spaces aren't just going to be taken up by all the new workers for the site?
Henry Smith MP
Long time resident
Long time resident

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 12 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Network Rail have confirmed that there are no plans at present for a side entrance into Station Hill stating that any proposals would be more complicated as they don't own all the land between the station and the road.

A breakdown of the redevelopment is:

Rail Operating Centre – £21m

Bridge replacement - £3m

Subway cladding and staircase renewal (includes works to keep subway safe until bridge renewal, relocation of gateline) – £2.3m

Construction of covered walkway station buildings to subway – £200k

Retail and layout improvements (station building to subway) – £570k

In addition there are Southern works to create a new waiting area and passenger lavatories on platforms 3 and 4, in addition the 120 extra car parking spaces.

www.henrysmith.info
[email protected]
Paul
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 12 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

For £2.3M you could build a mansion. What do we get? Some cladding and some stairs.
Ian

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 12 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

the Panorama (I think) programme last night was very interesting, - highlighting the fact that Network Rail projects cost double what they should or could. They showed a brand new station that had been built for half the cost of what NR quoted... Never-mind it is only public money and we have plenty of it Liar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Maidenbower Forum Index -> MP & Councillors' e-Surgery