Follow Maidenbower on Twitter
Links
Links to us
Mobile
Policy

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 14 23:52

Close/Open Menu
Over Reaction to the Bombings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Maidenbower Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BP
Does your boss know?

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 06:35    Post subject: Over Reaction to the Bombings Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

I read today that US troops posted to the UK have been banned from visiting London for the forseeable future following last weeks terrorist attack. Sensible precautions or over reaction?

I opt for the latter - there is no evidence that US citizens were the target. On the day that Bush says that the international community (whatever that is) would not bow to terrorism what does the US military do? Bow to terrorism! Dont I remember the US goivernment being scathing of the Spainsih Govt's reaction to the Madrid bombings. Ran something on the lines of giving in to terrorism .............

Presumably the decision was influenced by the fact that the UK government will not allow them to ride through London wearing ray burns, bandanas and belts of ammunition across their chests and exercising their right to collateral damage.

The stoical way in which Londoners have coped with the bombings is an example to all, especially the US. No over-reation, no public outpourings, just pick yourself up and get on with life.
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 07:33    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

DELETED
Ian

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 08:38    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Well it is not the first time that American foreign policy has been insensitive, self focused misinformed and just wrong. We really should not be surprised. The reality is that it will seriously damage the tourism trade as Americans will stop travelling over here. Thanks for your support again America.

As for Howard: Yes an enquiry at some point should take place as it is clear that this group came under the radar. It should not be public, - despite my calls for no change to our life on political freedom of speech on the other thread I would say we should at times of war, - (and that is where we are) operate on a need to know basis. The Conservative party have taken up this oppose anything, left wing humanitarian attitude that will detrimentally effect the UK security.
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 08:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

DELETED
Ian

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 08:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

and there is a BNP wing in Crawley, - seen them electionering outside of Crawley Mall.
Rich Tee
Forum fanatic
Forum fanatic

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 09:35    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Run for the hills if they start winning seats...
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 09:55    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

DELETED
billa
Totally obsessed
Totally obsessed

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Ian wrote:
....it is clear that this group came under the radar....

Ian where is the evidence to support this claim?
BP
Does your boss know?

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Are we looking for a scapegoat to appease the journalists?
billa
Totally obsessed
Totally obsessed

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

No WW I'm the div, I interpreted it to mean the exact opposite of what was intended.

i.e. I thought Ian meant the radar had shone upon these people and failed to identify them as a threat.
BP
Does your boss know?

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

WW - you are right you are being a div. There is no such notion as absolute security - that is the nature of terrorism. What we dont and will never know is how many acts have been thwarted. The Met Police's Anti-terrorist branch has a reputation the envy of thw world, including the US.

If we want a scapegoat then look to successive governments who have been content for dissidents and malcontents to seek refuge in this country. The security forces of France, a number of North African countries and Israel have long complained about our lax stance. I would think the Edgeware Road has more sleepers than the Paddington to Penzanze line.
BP
Does your boss know?

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

###### it I am lost!
Ian

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

Wonder Woman comes to my rescue again, thanks my little superhero.

Yes I meant that this attack did not show up on any intelligence, - or it certainly looks that way. The "talk" is of it not being home grown but perhaps even Balkan terrorists paid to do the job, which would be a scary thought. No reason why this very well funded group could not hire mercenaries.
Scooby Do
Totally obsessed
Totally obsessed

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 05 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

said on the news tonight that the tubes were suicide bombers and the bus one had probably gone off accidently killing the bomber. Shame it didn't just maim him completely really
skuds
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 05 00:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrawleyCruiser wrote:
Run for the hills if they start winning seats...

When the BNP get elected they nearly always don't bother turning up for meetings, and do absolutely nothing, so they would not have a great impact on anything.

The recent byelection in Barking was all because a BNP councillor resigned after less than a year because he said he couldn't understand anything about the council at all. (In the election Labour put up an octogenarian and all other parties stood aside to make sure Labour won)

The only effect of having the BNP elected anywhere seems to be a downward pressure on house values as people tend to think that if they got elected the place must be a trouble hotspot.

As for public enquiries... every agency involved will be reviewing what happened and making changes as a result, from the Police and MI5 right down to people like us who maintain the train radio systems. The last thing they need is the involvement of a lawyer and the need to publicise any security gaps they find.

But I gather that the shadow cabinet ganged up on Howard and told him not to be so stupid
DELETED

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep 05 08:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Maidenbower Forum Index -> General Discussion